Go to the HOME PAGE | Go to the Local History index

Visitors' comments about Burbage

click to view the index

cut

Domesday Book Entries 1086

The famous Domesday Book results from a statistical survey of England ordered by William the Conqueror and carried out in 1086. The following are the entries for Burbage as recorded in the Phillimore translations of 1979.

Landowner - King William

"Vitalis the priest holds Burbage church with 1 virgate of land." [Note by Colin Younger. The Domesday entry for Hurstbourne Tarrant in Hampshire also lists a Vitalis as its priest. From some far off date until 1847 Hurstbourne Tarrant and Burbage were a prebend within the diocese of Salisbury. Domesday implies that there was a connection between the two parishes even in Saxon times].

Landholder - Humphrey de L'Isle

"Blackman holds Burbage from Humphrey. Edric held it before 1066; it paid tax for 2.5 hides. Land for 2.5 ploughs of which 1.5 hides are in lordship; 1 plough there; 2 villagers and 3 cottages with 1 plough. Woodland 3 furlongs long and 2 furlongs wide. The value was 50s; now 40s."

Lands of Servants of the King

Richard Sturmy

"Richard also holds Burbage, and William from him. Aelfric held it before 1066; it paid tax for 2.5 hides. Land for 2 ploughs, which are there, with 1 slave and 1 villager and 4 cottagers. Meadow, 2 arpents; woodland 4 furlongs long and 2 furlongs wide. Value 30s." [Note Richard also held land in Huish, Grafton, Harding and Shalbourne]

Ralph of Hauville

"Ralph also holds 2 hides and 1 virgate of land in Burbage. Alric held them before 1066. Land for 2 ploughs, which are there, with 1 slave; 2 villagers and 1 smallholder. Woodland 3 furlongs long and 2 furlongs wide. Value 30s." [Note. Ralph also held lands in Grafton and Marten].

"In Wolf Hall [ presumably Ralph ] has 4 hides. Thorold and Alwin held them before 1066; they paid tax for as much. Land for 3 ploughs. No livestock. A mill which pays 16s. 4 villagers and 4 Cottagers. Woodland 2 furlongs long and wide. Value 30s."

TERMS USED

hides

A unit of measure, reckoned at 120 acres

virgate

A quarter of a hide, reckoned at 30 acres

villager

Member of a small village, usually with more land than a smallholder

Cottager

A cultivator who lived in a cottage

cottager

Inhabitant in a cote, cottage, often without land

plough

A plough, with the oxen who pulled it, usually reckoned at 8

arpent

A French measure of uncertain and probably various size. Usually used in vineyards but also occasionally in meadows (as here) and woodlands

lordship

Belonging to a lord or lordship

smallholder

Cultivator of inferior status, usually with a little land

furlong

A quarter of a virgate or league

league

A measure of length, usually a mile and a half

cut
The Church Survey in Wiltshire 1649 - 1650

Rectoria de Burbage

A survey of the Prebend Rectorie and Impropriate parsonage of Burbage with the rights members and appurtenances sett lyinge and beinge in Comit. Wiltes [Committee of Wiltshire] late parcel of the possessions or late belonging to the Cathedrall Church of the Virgin Mary of Sarum made and taken in the monethe of March 1649. By us whose names are hereunto subscribed, By vertue of a commission (&c.)

There is due and payable to the impropriate Rectorie or parsonage of Burbage aforesaid, The tythes of all corne and sorts of graine which is payable within the said parishe, which is out of 48 yards (The Farme of Woollfull beinge the Marquis of Hartfords only excepted which is 7 yards lands it being exempted from payment of all corne to the parsonage) so the Tithe corne is onlye ariseinge out of 41 yard lands. There is alsoe payable to the said Parsonage all Tithe hey [hay] of the said parishe of Burbage which is about 80 acres All which Tithe is worth per annum cxx [£120].

The advowson right of Patronage and presentation to the vicaridge of Burbage aforesaid is in the State, it formerly belonginge to the Prebendary of the late Prebend for the time beinge.

The viccaridge there now roofeles the dwellinge howse beinge wholly decayed and fallen downe hauvinge only a poore Barne and stable of 3 bayes of Buildinge, an orchard garden and backside containing in toto 3 roodes and Foure acres of arable Land lyinge in the common Southfeild of the said parish called Fox Acres, and the small Tithes, due and payable to the Viccar there, and the Tithe of all Titheable coppices worth per annum xl [£40].

The present Incumbent there is Mr. Thomas Taylor who officiates the cure by virtue of an order from the committee of the Countye of Wilts. The said Rectorye and Parsonage aforesaid is now in hand and belongeth to the State.

Returned (amongest other things) to the Regist Office for keeping the Surveys of Deane and Chapters Lands the 7th May 1650, by Walt Foye, Chr Ware, John Squibb : Geo Fairley Surveyors.
cut

Pigot & Co.'s National Commercial Directory 1830

"Burbage is a poor and straggling village, in the same hundred as Great Bedwyn, four miles therefrom, depending solely upon the landed interest for its support, and possessing nothing to interest the stranger, or worthy of notice, except the tunnel of the Kennet and Avon Canal Company, which extends a considerable distance. The Parish contained, by the last returns, 1,195 inhabitants."

cut

Kelly's Directory of Hants., Wilts and Dorset 1848

"Burbage, in the Hundred of Kinwardstone, Union of Pewsey, is a picturesque but not particularly clean village, on the road from Marlborough to Salisbury, and on the verge, on the one hand, of Marlborough, or Savernake forest, on the other of the bleak and dreary plain. Its church, of All Saints, is a vicarial cure, annual net income £363, attached to a prebendal stall in Salisbury cathedral; the Most Noble the Marquis of Ailesbury is the rector; The Rev. John Shephard Gale is the vicar, and the Rev. Michael Terry the curate. A chapel for Wesleyans is the only Dissenting place of worship. There is a Charity school for boys and girls. Population 1,455; assessed property £5922. Near this village, on the side of Great Bedwin, the Kennet and Avon canal passes under an old Roman road by tunnel a ¼ of a mile in length. Burbage is 76 miles from London, 6 from Marlborough, 23 from Salisbury, and 17 from Devizes. The area of the parish is 3,332 acres."

cut
Notes on the Rural Deaneries of Marlborough & Cricklade, 1812 with additions in 1851

Burbage - 1851 by Rev W.C. Lukis

The Church consists of a nave, N. and S. aisles, N. transept, S. porch, chancel, and modern vestry built on the S. side of the chancel, and tower at the W. end. It bears traces of having once been a fair structure, considerably enriched in several parts. The chancel N. and S. windows are beautiful Middle-pointed specimens each differing from the other and having remnants of good stained glass. There are much-mutilated sedilia and a pescina on the S. side, and a priest's door, also on the same side. The nave arches and tower appear to have been rebuilt in the late Third-Pointed times.

[This is the last description of the old building before the church, save the tower, was demolished in 1854. Some of the original windows were reused and this resulted in the scratch dial being positioned in the N.E. corner of the chancel].

WAM Vol. XLI 1920 - 1922
cut
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales by John Marius Wilson (1870-72)

BURBAGE, a village and a parish in Pewsey district, Wilts. The village stands near the Kennet and Avon canal, and near the Reading and Devizes railway, in the neighbourhood of Savernake r. station, 6½ miles SSE of Marlborough; is a straggling picturesque place; and has a post office under Marlborough. The parish comprises 3,283 acres. Real property, £5,813. Pop., 1,603. Houses, 323. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £363.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is an edifice of 1854, with an old tower; and has two memorial windows, the one to Bishop Denison, the other to four natives who fell in the Crimean war. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £101.

cut

Kelly's Directory of Hants., Wilts and Dorset 1875

"Burbage is a village and parish in the Southern Division of the county, Kinwardstone Hundred, Pewsey Union, Marlborough County Court district, Diocese of Salisbury, archdeaconry of Wilts, and rural deanery of Marlborough, on the road from Marlborough to Salisbury. 71 miles from London, 6 south east of Marlborough and 17 from Devizes, having within the parish the Savernake Junction station of the Berks. & Hants. Extension Railway. The direct line of rail from Swindon to Andover, about to be constructed, will pass along the eastern boundary of the parish. The church of All Saints is a Gothic stone building, restored in 1854 excepting the tower: it has a chancel and Seymour Chapel, nave, aisles, embattled tower with clock and 6 bells, and porch, and is seated with open benches; there are several memorial windows, one in the chancel being to the late Bishop of Salisbury (Denison). The register dates from 1561. The living is a vicarage, yearly net income £363, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Salisbury and is now vacant. The National and Infants Schools, near the church, newly built are very spacious. At Durley is the Savernake Training School for servants for girls whose parents live on the Ailesbury Estates, supported by the Marchioness. Here is a Wesleyan Chapel. In 1805 Mr. Philip Pearce bequeathed the sum of £2,400, the interest of which is £63/18/4d [£63.92p] from the Charity Commissioners of which £10 is reserved for educational purposes and the remainder given by the trustees annually about Christmas to the 'second poor': 56 persons were recipients of this charity Christmas last. Robert Highett, Esq., late of Burbage, left by will in 1873, the sum of £500, half of the interest of which to be given to the schools, the remainder in coals to the poor of this parish. Near this village, on the side of Great Bedwyn, the Kennet & Avon canal passes under an old Roman Road, by a tunnel a quarter mile in length; on the canal are wharfs and a goods station. Here is a Friendly Society (Easton & Burbage) of 150 members, having a capital of £3,400; members at 65 years of age are pensioned off, and cease paying to the fund. The Marquis of Ailesbury is Lord of the Manor and principal landowner. The soil is sand; subsoil chalk. Chief crops wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 3,283 acres, gross estimated rental £5,578: rateable value £4,985 and the population in 1871 was 1,544.".

cut

Kelly's Post Office Directory 1939

"Burbage is a village and parish on the road from Marlborough to Salisbury, 5½ miles east from Pewsey, 6 south-east from Marlborough, 17 east from Devizes and 70 from London and 1 mile south-west from Savernake Junction station (which is in the parish) and 2 miles west from Grafton and Burbage station on the Great Western railway, in the Devizes division of the county, hundred of Kinwardstone, petty sessional division and county court district of Marlborough, rural district of Pewsey, rural deanery of Marlborough (Pewsey portion), archdeaconry of Wilts and diocese of Salisbury. Electricity is available. The church of All Saints is a building of stone and flint, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, and consists of chancel, nave of five bays with clerestory, aisles, south porch, and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 5 bells : there are eight stained windows, one of which is a memorial to the Rt. Rev. Edward Denison D.D. Bishop of Salisbury, 1837-54 : in 1876 a south aisle was added to the chancel : it has since been converted into a side chapel and dedicated to St. Thomas à Becket : in the same year the interior of the church was renovated, as a memorial to the Ven. Thomas Stanton, archdeacon of Wilts and for 23 years vicar of the parish, who died 24 March, 1875 : the church was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1854, and affords 450 sittings. The churchyard was extended by an addition of half an acre of land in 1891. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value approximately £392, including 5½ acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Salisbury, and held since 1931 by the Rev. Alexander George Baker M.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. There is a Methodist chapel built in 1907, and seating 150 persons. There are charities of the yearly value of £72/17s/6d. In 1805, Philip Pearce bequeathed the sum of £2,000, the interest of which, after deducting the sum of £10 for educational purposes, is given annually about Christmas to the second poor. Robert Highett left by will, in 1873, the sum of £500, the interest of which is expended in coals for the poor and for educational purposes. In 1875 Archdeacon Stanton bequeathed £200, the interest of which is spent in gifts of clothing and blankets to the poor. In the High street is a village hall used for concerts &c. The Kennet and Avon Canal passes under the railway station, by a tunnel a quarter of a mile in length ; on the canal are two locks, wharves and a goods station. A cattle sale is held the first Wednesday in the month at Savernake station. The Marquess of Ailesbury D.S.O. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is green sand : subsoil, chalk. The area is 4013 acres ; the population in 1931 was 1,057 in the civil parish and 947 in the ecclesiastical parish.

cut

Marlborough & District Directory 1939

"The Church of All Saints is a stone building in the Gothic style with chancel, nave, and a tower containing a clock and a peel of five bells. The register dates from 1651. The living is a vicarage in the gift of the Bishop of Salisbury, and is held by the Rev. A. G. Baker. There is a Methodist Church here."
The population is 1,057; the area is 4,012 acres.

cut

Marlborough & District Directory 1951


"A pleasant Downland village associated with 'Wulfhall', one mile east, the home of the Seymours and scene of Henry VIIIth's marriage to Jane, and subsequent feastings of King Hal. Now in ruins. The castellated tower of All Saints' Church is XV Century. There is a Methodist Church."

cut
W.I. Burbage Scrapbook 1956

"Burbage is an unspectacular, unselfconscious village, gratefully aware of the fact that it has no particular interest for the tourist, There is no whimsy about Burbage, nothing artycrafty, no ancient monuments labelled and written up in the guide books, no olde worlde tea shoppe. The High Street is too narrow for safety, and the banks too high for the hurrying motorist to glimpse a view.

Nevertheless, Burbage is full of character and charm, an attractive friendly place where village life has been going on since before domesday Book."

day & night

Go to the HOME PAGE | Go to the Local History index

©Colin Younger 2007